Home UK News Cambridgeshire Man turns up alive five years after he was presumed dead

Cambridgeshire Man turns up alive five years after he was presumed dead

Cambridgeshire Police launched a murder investigation in 2015 after Ricardas Puisys, who was 35 at the time, was not seen for several weeks

A man who had been feared by police to have been murdered has been found alive nearly five years after he was presumed dead.

Ricardas Puisys, who was 35 years old at the time that he went missing, was found in the Cambridgeshire town of Wisbech on the 1st of July this year.

Officers had launched a murder investigation back in November of 2015 after Mr Puisys, who is a Lithuanian man, had not been seen for several weeks.

This comes after a government minister has defended the decision of the Conservative Party to not suspend an MP who was arrested on suspicion of rape. UK Business minister Nadhim Zahawi has said that it is “right” to wait for the conclusion of a police investigation into the claims.

Detective Chief Inspector Rob Hall from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, said: “For almost five years Ricardas’ disappearance has been a complete mystery.”

“That was until we received information at the end of June which led us to finding him.”

Concerns about Mr Puisys’ whereabouts were initially raised in late August of 2015 when Cambridgeshire police were told that he was being exploited and had relocated to a new address within the town Wisbech.

Mr Puisys was working at the Nightlayer Leek Company, which is a food production firm located in Chatteris, Cambridgeshire.

The last confirmed sighting of the man before he went missing was on Saturday the 26th of September 2015.

Police said that he was believed to be in the company of a small group of other Lithuanian men later that evening before he then disappeared.

Police officers have now launched an official investigation into the potential exploitation that Mr Puisys was a victim of.

H2B Windows Advert

DCI Hall said: “There were genuine concerns Ricardas came to harm that evening. He did not return to work on Monday, 28 September, 2015 as expected, but we now believe Ricardas made the decision to run away as he had been a victim of crime, having previously been subject to exploitation.”

“A team of investigators worked tirelessly following up a number of inquiries, none leading to the discovery of Ricardas. That was until we received information that Ricardas may have been alive and still in the Wisbech area.”

“Following a search of wooded area in Harecroft Road, Ricardas was eventually found living in undergrowth, very well concealed after having deliberately hidden and having not spoken with anyone for some time.”

“We made the decision not to publicly announce we had found Ricardas alive until now in order to protect him and put safeguarding measures in place.”

“He is safe and we are working very closely with him to ensure he remains safe, but also to ensure he gets the support he needs after having lived through extremely difficult circumstances during the last five or more years.”

This comes after two teenagers were rescued after they had drifted out to sea in the Moray Firth on an inflatable doughnut over the weekend.

Eve Cooper
Eve Cooper
I've been writing articles and stories for as long as I can remember and in the past few years I've had the fortune of turning that love & passion for writing into my job 🙂

Breaking News Today is a small UK business struggling to stay afloat during COVID lockdown. If you enjoyed this article or found it useful please subscribe to all of our social media outlets.

288,388FansLike
813FollowersFollow
820FollowersFollow
10SubscribersSubscribe

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

288,388FansLike
813FollowersFollow
820FollowersFollow
10SubscribersSubscribe

Must Read

Two Brits jailed for trying to smuggle £2m worth of cocaine into the UK

Geraldo Luis Jhonson Garcias, 31, and Vianelis Fermin-Pena, 22, were arrested in Portugal last year and were jailed last week

Curfews for pubs among new lockdown restrictions in northeast England

New local restrictions are being introduced throughout northeast England, which includes curfews for pubs and a ban on people mixing with others...

UK government shuts-down claims of new two-week national lockdown

A government minister has dismissed suggestions that the UK could be heading for a two-week national coronavirus lockdown On...

Welsh county to go into local lockdown amid rise in cases

A cluster of cases in the Welsh county has been traced back to a rugby club's trip to horse races, which "stopped...