Eyewitnesses have recounted a harrowing incident where individuals wielding knives and wearing balaclavas launched a surprise attack on two individuals in Croydon. Tragically, one of the victims succumbed to their injuries, while the other sustained wounds.
This stabbing incident took place in North Walk, following a pursuit that unfolded through the streets of New Addington. Authorities received an emergency call shortly after 6pm and arrived at the scene to discover two men suffering from stab wounds.
Regrettably, one of the individuals, a 20-year-old, was declared deceased at the scene, while the other, a 19-year-old, was transported to the hospital. Thankfully, the condition of the second man is believed to be non-life-threatening.
One witness said: “They were wearing balaclavas they were chasing two boys, they were rampaging through the street and round the alleys.
“There was a massive commotion. One of the injured boys was put in a car. There was blood everywhere.”
Police raided a house after the killing.
A witness said: “There were police everywhere, it looked like they were kitted up for war. They smashed in a door I think they were looking for the killers.”
According to local residents, the outbreak of violence appeared to be an escalation stemming from a prior altercation that occurred the day before the fatal incident.
One said: “There had been a fist fight the day before, this time they came back with knives.”
Officers were trawling for CCTV footage from around the area and carrying out door to door inquiries.
Forensics teams have also been scouring for clues.
A mother of three said: “We are all devastated, one of my kids saw boys in balaclavas, it’s no way to live.”
As of Wednesday morning, a designated crime scene continued to be in effect at the location. The family of the victim has been notified about the tragic incident.
Detectives have disclosed that a 20-year-old individual has been apprehended under suspicion of murder. They are also urging the public to provide any available footage of the stabbing, which took place in broad daylight.
Met Detective Inspector Jason Fitzpatrick said: “This fatal attack happened in daylight and I’m sure it would have been witnessed by a number of people.
“We are carrying out a number of enquiries, including a review of local CCTV. I would ask that anyone who has a video doorbell, or who was driving in the area with a dash cam, to please check their footage.
“It is vital that we establish what happened yesterday evening and locate those responsible.”
Following the attack, authorities have committed to deploying additional patrols in the area to enhance security and public safety.
Croydon Mayor Jason Perry said: “I know that residents across New Addington and Croydon as a whole will be deeply saddened and distressed to hear about tonight’s incident.
“My thoughts are with the families of the victims and all those affected. I would also like to thank the local emergency services who responded so quickly and professionally to this serious incident.”
Croydon Central MP Sarah Jones said she was “devastated” to learn that a man had died, and urged local residents who may have witnessed the fight to contact police.