Boris Johnson has admitted that he hasn’t been in contact with Marcus Rashford since June, but he has praised his “terrific” campaign
Boris Johnson has admitted that he hasn’t been in contact with Marcus Rashford since June, but that Prime Minister has praised the Manchester United footballer’s “terrific” campaign against food poverty.
Despite the government not extending the voucher scheme for this October half-term, and having resisted calls to extend the scheme until Easter next year – Mr Johnson on Monday vowed that ministers “will do everything in our power to make sure that no kid, no child goes hungry this winter during the holidays”.
He added: “I haven’t spoken to Marcus since June but, as I say, I think what he’s doing is terrific.”
Earlier, Health Secretary Matt Hancock told Sky News that the pair had “been communicating”, although Rashford disputed this via a post on his Twitter account.
Some local councils, including Conservative-run local authorities, have pledged to continue the holiday voucher scheme in recent days.
And small businesses and organisations have offered meals to struggling families in their local areas.
This comes after Health Secretary Matt Hancock said on Monday that the prime minister had “been communicating” with Marcus Rashford, but pointed to already existing money, including £63m given to local councils in June, as a means to help those struggling during the COVID-19 crisis.
Amid concerns at his stance from some of his own Conservative MPs, Mr Johnson said there was a “debate” over how best to provide holiday meals for children during the coronavirus crisis.
He pointed to the government’s uplift of Universal Credit and a £63m fund for local councils announced more than four months ago.
The £20 a week increase to Universal Credit is scheduled to end in April, while the leader of one Conservative-run local authority has said any extra support for councils during the coronavirus crisis had already been spent.
But, during a visit to Royal Berkshire Hospital on Monday, the prime minister defended his government’s efforts to support those who are struggling as a result of the COVID-19 crisis.
“We support the local councils and, indeed, we fund the local councils and many of the organisations that are helping in this period,” he said.
“But we’re also uplifing Universal Credit by £1,000 and we think that is one of the best ways you can help families in this tough time.”
“I totally understand the issue of holiday hunger; it is there, we have to deal with it. The debate is how do you deal with it.”
“We’re very proud of the support that we’ve given, I’ve said repeatedly throughout this crisis that the government will support families and businesses, jobs and livelihoods across the country.”
“We’re going to continue to do that. We don’t want to see children going hungry this winter, this Christmas.”
“Certainly not as a result of any inattention by this government. You’re not going to see that.”
This comes after a Tory MP, Caroline Ansell, has quit her role within the government after rebelling to support Marcus Rashford’s campaign extending free school meals over the coming school holidays.
Mr Johnson had visited the hospital to mark the publication of a new review into hospital food.
Labour’s shadow education secretary, Kate Green, said the prime minister’s “warm words” would “do nothing” for those children at risk of going hungry this half-term, after Tory MPs last week voted against her party’s call for the provision of free meals during all school holidays until next Easter.
“Labour will not give up on the children and families let down by this government, and we will hold the prime minister to his word, forcing another vote in parliament if necessary,” Ms Green added.
“The government must now make children a national priority, and ensure that no child goes hungry.”