A spokesman said the missing girl’s parents Kate and Gerry McCann have never given up hope she is alive but are being “realistic”
Clarence Mitchell, spokesman for Kate and Gerry McCann, the parents of Madeleine, has said that the couple has not given up hope that their daughter is still alive as “they simply want to know what happened” to Madeleine.
He said: “From everything police are saying and doing, this would appear to be the most significant lead that they are trying to close down in the 13 years since Madeleine disappeared.”
Mr Mitchell continued: “(Madeleine’s parents) are realistic, they simply want to know what happened to their daughter.
“That’s always been the case, they want whoever is responsible for her disappearance to be brought to justice.
“They do remain hopeful that she could still be found alive. They’ve never given up on that hope, nor will they until they are presented with any incontrovertible evidence to the contrary.
“But they say despite all that, whatever the outcome of this particular line of enquiry might be, they need to know and they need to find peace.”
This news comes after a police request was made back in February by detectives on the case to the Home Office, for more money when their current taxpayer-funded handout runs out in four weeks.
Madeleine McCann disappeared from her bedroom on the 3rd of May 2007 during a family holiday to the Algarve, Portugal; she vanished while Kate and Gerry McCann were dining with some friends in a nearby restaurant close to the Praia da Luz resort.
On Wednesday, British and German police appealed for information about a convicted paedophile who is currently serving prison time for sexual offences in his home country.
The 43-year-old German man’s name was given to the Metropolitan Police in 2017, following the 10th anniversary of the disappearance of Madeleine.
Clarence Mitchell has said that both the German and British police believe that there are people who know what happened to Madeleine McCann.
He continues by saying that police are asking that anyone who has information about the imprisoned suspect should feel safe to share that information with the authorities.
Martin Brunt, a crime correspondent for Sky News said: “This man came back into the frame in 2017 as a result of an alleged confession.
“I understand he was in a bar in Germany with another man, around the tenth anniversary of Madeleine’s disappearance. A report came on the TV about the anniversary of Madeleine’s disappearance and he said something to suggest that he knew what happened.”
“He also allegedly showed a video of himself raping a woman. Video of the rape led to an investigation that last year meant he was convicted of the rape of a tourist on the Algarve in around 2005.”
“That is what brought him back into the frame.”
German police have said that the new suspect was a resident of the Algarve between the years of 1995 and 2007.
They also revealed that he lived in a house near Praia da Luz for several years where he burglarised hotels and holiday flats and was known to trade in illegal drugs.