In the recent announcement, the government has published guidelines that could see small ceremonies take place from June
Since the pandemic, many people have had their special day cancelled or postponed due to the current social distancing measures. Until the announcement last Sunday, many couples with nuptials planned this summer were also uncertain what would be happening with their celebration.
However, in the new recovery strategy, published on Monday, it has set out future plans and a timetable on possible easing of rules.
The easing of the lockdown doesn’t include the re-opening of many hospitality businesses, such as hairdressers or restaurants, the foreign secretary has said that it may take until the 4th of July at the earliest to see these services back in operation.
In step two of the guidelines, it says that officials are ‘examining how to enable people to gather in slightly larger groups to better facilitate small weddings’. This, however, would be made no earlier than 1st June.
Although in another section, it states that places of worship could be closed until the beginning of July.
Speaking with The News in Portsmouth, Lauren Parker-Gould said, ‘our plan was to have 50 day guests and 80 guests in the evening.”
She added that they would need to know that the definition of small was because if it was restricted to a couple of people, then this type of wedding wouldn’t be for her.
Lauren also explained that she would want to celebrate with family and friends. Although it’s not about how many people go to the wedding in general, the couple would want to spend it with family and friends.
The Church of England said it is closely monitoring the situation to see what steps are needed to reopen churches. In a statement, the Bishop of London, Dame Sarah Mullally said,
“We are examining what steps we will need to take to do so safely and are actively planning ahead in preparation.”
The statement also said they support the approach they are taking and appreciate the need to suppress the virus. They also recognise that the public cannot return to services at this time and will await further detail.
This comes after 210 people died from COVID-19 yesterday in the UK.
Cancelled weddings but still have to pay
Last month, it was reported that despite weddings being cancelled by venues, that some people are struggling to get refunds.
As reported by the BBC, a couple had their wedding cancelled by the venue and was told they would have to pay an 80% cancellation charge. They were also advised to claim the money back on insurance and re-book the wedding.
Adam Gibbs told the BBC, “The venue has still got £13,000 of our money and is still demanding additional payments.” Mr Gibbs also went onto say that he couldn’t understand why they were being charged for a service that wasn’t delivered by the venue.
The particular company they were dealing with, Bijou Weddings have unfortunately had other unhappy couples, in the wake of their decisions for re-booking weddings.
Sam Cutmore-Scott, managing director of Bijou Weddings, said: “We have tried to accommodate the needs of couples who are immediately impacted, while still respecting our commitments to clients who have weddings booked in 2021 and beyond.”