The coronavirus death toll in the UK hit 35,341 today after 545 more have died in the country; including a seven-year-old
Yesterday marked the lowest rise in deaths the UK since the lockdown began in late March, with just 160 reported deaths, but today the total number of fatalities has risen by 545.
A seven-year-old child was among the 168 people in England who died from COVID-19 to have had a previously underlying health condition. A further 6 patients, the youngest of whom was 45, had no known health conditions.
Today’s increase in death brings the total number of fatalities in England to 24,913, according to NHS England officials.
In Scotland, there have been a further 29 more coronavirus-related deaths in the past 24 hours.
In Scotland, there have been a further 29 more coronavirus-related deaths in the past 24 hours. 17 more people have lost their lives in Wales within the 24 hour period, and there have been 7 more deaths in Northern Ireland.
This news comes after as many as 50,000 to 70,000 cases of COVID-19 in the UK could be completely missed, due to an outdated list of symptoms presented to Brits.
The most recent figures refer to those who have died from COVID-19 in all settings, including care homes, hospices, as well as within the wider community.
Professor Jonathan Van-Tam said that the UK will only “be out of this” once a vaccine has been created and that COVID-19 may resurface once again later in the year, likely in autumn and winter.
Speaking at the Government’s daily coronavirus press briefing, Van-Tam said that it would take a vaccine that was “really capable of suppressing disease levels” to enable the country to recover fully from the COVID-19 pandemic.
“So from that perspective we may have to live, and learn to live, with this virus in the long-term, certainly for many months to come if not several years.”
The rate of deaths that occurred on Monday marked the lowest number of deaths within a 24-hour period since the lockdown began.
NHS England officials have warned that the death toll figures may be artificially low due to a technical difficulty after health bosses have said that the notification system for COVID-19 patients had temporarily stopped working on the 16th of May.
The issue may have potentially had an impact on the figure for deaths that were reported yesterday, with a spokesperson saying that the total is “lower than would be expected”.
This news comes as the British public are being urged by the District to avoid travelling there.