The Duke of Edinburgh is said to be in good spirits after leaving hospital following a successful heart procedure
The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip, 99, was admitted to King Edward VII’s hospital in central London on 16 February after feeling unwell.
He later underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at another London hospital – St Bartholomew’s.
The duke returned to Windsor Castle after the 28-night stay, his longest-ever in hospital.
In a statement on Tuesday, Buckingham Palace had said that the duke was discharged “following treatment for an infection and a successful procedure for a pre-existing condition”.
“His Royal Highness wishes to thank all the medical staff who looked after him… and everyone who has sent their good wishes,” the statement said.
This comes after Prince William has said that the Royal family is not racist and that he has not yet spoken to his brother Harry since his and Meghan’s shocking interview. When he was asked whether or not he had spoken to his brother Prince Harry yet, the Duke of Cambridge replied by saying: “I haven’t spoken to him yet but I plan to.”
Prince Philip and the Queen, 94, have spent the most-recent lockdown in England living at Windsor with a small group of household staff, nicknamed HMS Bubble.
The couple, who have been married for 73 years, received their first COVID-19 jabs in January.
The exact reason for his initial admission was not disclosed, but the Palace said at the time it was not related to coronavirus.
During his stay at King Edward VII’s, the duke was visited by his son the Prince of Wales.
After his admission to King Edward VII hospital, Prince Philip was transferred to Barts for specialist treatment on a pre-existing heart condition, undergoing a successful procedure on 3 March.
He was later transferred back to King Edward VII’s hospital.
The hospital is a private clinic within central London that has treated the Queen on multiple occasions as well as the Duke of Edinburgh and other senior members of the Royal family.
Prince Philip left through a side entrance of the hospital in a wheelchair and was helped into the rear passenger seat of a waiting car.
The duke, who had retired from his royal duties back in 2017, has received treatment for many other health conditions over the years, including a bladder infection in 2012 and exploratory surgery on his abdomen in June 2013.
Members of the Royal Family continued with their official duties while the duke was in hospital.
The Queen performed her first face-to-face event of the year last month when she knighted a royal aide during a private socially-distanced ceremony at Windsor.
This comes after Prince Philip was moved to a different hospital where he will continue to be treated for an infection and undergo further tests. The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, was admitted to a London hospital just under two weeks ago as a “precautionary measure” after feeling unwell.
She also attended numerous virtual meetings, including with scientists, members of the armed forces, Chancellor Rishi Sunak, and kept up her weekly audience with Prime Minister Boris Johnson via telephone.
Prince Philip’s hospital stay coincided with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s interview with Oprah Winfrey, in which allegations of racism and a lack of mental health support were levelled at the Royal Family.
Buckingham Palace said in a statement afterwards that the issues were concerning, and while “some recollections may vary”, the matter was a family one that will be dealt with privately.
In the interview, Meghan told Oprah that she phoned the monarch directly “just to check in” after hearing the duke had been taken to hospital.